Book Review: Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk

Feeling much better and I'm convinced it was thanks to the bourbon. I'm sure it had nothing to do with all the sleep, soup, and Nyquil. Now that I'm back to feeling like myself, I want to tell you about the latest book I finished. Usually, I wait until the end of the review to make my recommendation. Well, this one is so good I'm recommending it right now. The reviews (NYTimesNPR, etc.) all rave about it, in case you don't believe me.

Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk by Ben Fountain is a great book that comments on contemporary American patriotism by telling the story of 19-year old Billy Lynn over the course of single day. The day is the final of a "victory tour" that's designed to reinvigorate support for the war. Lynn is a member of Bravo Squad, a group that survives intense firefight in Iraq, all of which is captured on film and later shown on Fox News. This, of course, turns them into overnight heroes.

BravoSquad is spending their final day, Thanksgiving, at the Dallas Cowboys football game. How much more American can you get? As you spend the day with Lynn, you learn his fears, dreams, and internal struggles about life and the war in general. I found myself emotionally invested in not just Billy's safety, but all members of Bravo squad.

I enjoyed this book so much I convinced Keith to read it too, and he's even recommended it to others. It's one of those book that once you pick it up, you won't want to put it down. Like The Angry Buddhist, I found myself thinking about the characters long after I had finished the book. I strongly recommend adding this to your list of must reads.



Posted in . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.