Friday Cocktails: Ward 8

I've taken a recent interest in learning the origins of cocktails...what makes them unique to a specific city, how the separate components came to be included and how they came to be known by a certain name. Today I bring you the Ward 8, a proper Boston cocktail. I won't bore you with the history. If you would like that I suggest you mosey over to Imbibe's article on that.

I selected this as the first cocktail of 2013 because it uses fresh citrus juices and it is citrus season. Bringing together the bursts of summer with the spiciness of a rye is a win. I agree with the Imbibe article in this is "light, lively and ridiculously easy to drink." I would have to say almost too easy to drink.


Ward 8

2 oz. straight rye whiskey
1/2 oz. fresh lemon juice
1/4 oz. fresh orange juice
1/4 oz. grenadine (or more to taste)
Splash of sparkling water

Shake ingredients (excluding the sparkling water) with ice and strain into a chilled glass. Add an ice cube and splash of sparkling water. 

Cheers!



Posted in , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.