Book Review: The Tiger's Wife

I admit my book funk has continued. I’ve started more than I care to admit, but few seem to lure me and serve as a daily companion on my commute. That is until I decided to pick up The Tiger’s Wife by TĂ©a Obreht.

After finishing the book, I now understand why she is the youngest of the New Yorker’s twenty best American fiction writers under forty. She has a way with words…she chooses them wisely and never uses more than necessary. Each one was selected with a precise purpose throughout the story of Natalia, a young doctor, seeking answers to the circumstances surrounding her grandfather’s death. 

Throughout her journey, Obreht did a magical job of weaving Natalia’s stories in with those of her grandfather’s. “These stories,” Natalia comes to understand, “run like secret rivers through all the other stories” of her grandfather’s life. And it is ultimately within these rich, luminous narratives that she will find the answer she is looking for.

I missed my metro stop a time or two on the way home because I was so engrossed in this book, so I cannot help but recommend picking this one up if you haven’t already. Yes, the start is a little slow. But trust me your patience will be rewarded.

Posted in . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.