Recipe: Banana Bourbon Ice Cream

As Keith and I were sitting on the back porch last week, we talked about memories and how certain items can trigger them. For Keith, it's usually a song that can take him back in time. For me, it's food.

With Memorial Day and the official start of summer here, I was taken back to grandma and grandpa's patio. I'm there with my cousins, brother and sister. Dixie, grandpa's basset hound, is there just as excited, hoping we'll spill something just for her. We're waiting for grandma to bring out the banana ice cream base for the freezer. For the first five minutes or so, my cousins are anxious to take their turn churning the cream and sugar. Soon it's just my sister, Dixie and me. We could never wait for it firm up in the freezer. Everyone eager with their bowl and spoon. That was life.

Call me sentimental, but as I've gotten older. I often find myself back wanting to bring back those memories. And how else was I to achieve that than to make some ice cream. Grandma would probably frown on the addition of bourbon, but I'm sure grandpa would just grin and wait to pour a bit in once grandma went back inside.

And with the first bite of of the cool, creamy banana I was taken back to my childhood and the long days of summer.


Banana Bourbon Ice Cream

2 ripe bananas, the more brown spots the better
3/4 c. sugar
1 c. whole milk
2 c. heavy cream
1 t. vanilla
3 T. bourbon

1. Mash the bananas until you have a rather smooth paste. Set aside.

2. Create and ice bath in a large mixing bowl. Place a smaller bowl in the bath. Whisk together the sugar and milk until the sugar has dissolved in the bowl over the ice bath. Add the cream, vanilla and bananas until well combined.

3. Freeze according to your ice cream maker's instructions, adding the bourbon during the last five minutes of freezing.

4. Transfer the ice cream to a freezer safe storage dish with a lid to harden in freezer for several hours. Note: it will not become completely solid, as the bourbon will prevent that.

5. Enjoy!

P.S. You might also want to try my recipe for Bourbon Peach Ice Cream.

Posted in , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.