Book Review: Once Upon A Secret

With all the heat in the nation's capital lately, I just haven't felt like venturing out and about. And the latest book I wrapped up was such a quick easy read, I struggled to put it down for too long. Now let's be honest, who doesn't want the sordid details about a presidential affair?

Always in search of a good book, I often read the book review sections of newspapers as well as many "must read" lists that I stumble upon. Once Upon a Secret: My Affair with President John F. Kennedy and Its Aftermath was discovered as a result of one of those lists. As I mentioned the book is a quick read, written in a rather plain and simple style. It occurs to me now that the style of writing really set the tone for the book even without realizing it immediately.

The author, Mimi Alford, had an affair with President Kennedy while serving as a White House Intern at age 19. She held onto this secret for nearly 50 years before writing her story. She struck me as a very naive and almost blissfully ignorant girl. And for that matter, I don't believe she has really grown beyond that today. She shares the details of how she ended up in bed with the president on her fourth day in the White House and how it continued for the next 18 months. What I found interesting was her sense of loyalty to JFK even after all the years following his death. However, what I didn't understand was why. She shares a little insight into this, but I finished the book feeling pity for her. Ultimately, I just didn't find the writing to be that strong or the story that good.

However, there's still plenty of time this summer for a book by the pool or on the beach and this book fits the bill. If you're looking for a little more about the story itself, I'd recommend checking out the New York Times review.

So, have you read anything good lately? I'm making progress on the stack next to the bed. So much so, that I'm ready to acquire a few new additions.

Posted in , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.