Book Review: The Year We Left Home

How was your weekend? Keith and I found our weekend of doing nothing close to home to be so relaxing that we plan to repeat it again this coming weekend. The farthest we ventured was three blocks to make it to the gym. The weather was absolutely gorgeous and we made an effort to spend a little time on the back porch grilling and enjoying it. But the rest of our time was spent watching the U.S. Open and catching up on some reading.

All of this quiet time at home allowed me to finish up another book. This time I read a novel, The Year We Left Home, by Jean Thompson. The book tells the story of an Iowa farm family over the course of three decades. Your introduced to the family as the oldest is getting married and the second oldest is dealing with his feelings about living in a small town and the decision to head off to college. Thompson then takes you through all four children’s stories in such a way that you learn each child’s thoughts at the different stages of their lives over the next three decades. It’s well done in this regard as you don’t have just one narrator and the story never becomes confusing or taken off course.

Sometimes you just connect with a book in such a way that it touches a piece of you inside. This is one of those books for me. Perhaps, we can attribute that to growing up in small town Kansas. I understood the mixed emotions some of the children faced having grown up where they did and the challenges it provided later into adulthood.

The Year We Left Home was nominated for several literary awards, but I’d recommend it to you because it is a good story about a family and growing older.

Have you read anything lately that you’d recommend?

Posted in , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

3 Responses to Book Review: The Year We Left Home

  1. I am putting that on my next rent-from-Nicole list, please. I'm currently 1/3 of the way through The Art of Fielding, it's about a collegiate baseball team (of course, I'm reading a baseball book), but it's more about the relationships and nuances of the guys on the team. Loving it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course! I've now moved on to "Once Upon a Secret: My Affair with JFK and Its Aftermath." So far, so good. I'm worried the history of ballet will never be finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After finishing the Fifty Shades series, I was at a loss of what to read. I finally decided to borrow The Hunger Games from a friend. I could not put it down. I'm excited to get the others to read them. However, I can't help but think it seems like an older version of the young adult book, The Giver. Now your suggestion is at the top of my "to-read" list. Thank you for the review! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.