Night Out: Spring Awakening

One of my favorite things about living in the District is the theatre options. It's not New York, but coming from Topeka, Kansas this place is an arts mecca. I've been trying to convert Keith into the theatre lover. However, I know my limits. And the limit is a musical. He's down with Shakespeare and dramas like Twelve Angry men, so I count my victories where I can.

The Keegan Theatre in Dupont Circle is a wonderful gem of a theatre tucked away on Church Street. The building has quite a rich history having served as church, school gymnasium, and now a vibrant theatre. If only the walls could talk. After seeing my dear friend, Edward, in Rent at this theatre I just cannot get my fill of them.

When I heard they were running a production of Spring Awakening I had to check it out. Thankfully, Edward, who is my theatre husband was game for the night out, and Keith was relieved Edward saved him.


Set in late 19th century Germany, Spring Awakening tells the story of teenagers discovering their sexuality. It boldly tackles issues of abortion, homosexuality, rape, child abuse, and suicide. In 2007, the score received 11 Tony Award nominations; winning eight, including best musical.  Of course, I had to know what all the hype was about.

The Keegan's presentation was good. However, I found the musicians visible on the set to be distracting. Additionally, the music often overpowered the performers making it difficult to hear the full story. Edward agreed with my assessment including their use of hand microphones. Following the show on our walk home, we found ourselves amused as to how those hand mics just popped up out of no where.

Regardless, I found it was a great Friday night of theatre. Edward and I are already making plans to see Cabaret when the Keegan produces that next season. Do you enjoy the theatre? Any shows you recommend taking in?

Posted in , , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.