Book Review: How It All Began

Via
As part of my effort of staying healthy, I bring my lunch to work almost every day. And given there are few options for lunch, it’s really the best decision. Rather than surf the web or work and eat, I usually read over the lunch hour to give my eyes a break from the computer monitor, although I’m not sure reading is that much a of a recovery. Anyone know?

I recently finished How It All Began by Penelope Lively. Like The Year We Left Home, I found this to be quite an enjoyable novel. One that had me a bit reflective on life and the course we each take.

Ms. Lively tells the story of how one event lead to a chain reaction changing the lives of seven individuals, sending these characters’ stories off into new directions, perhaps even forever changing their dreams and desires. Everything is set into motion with the mugging of a retired literature teacher named Charlotte Rainsford on a spring day in London.  As Charlotte heals she ponders the indignities of aging and often reflects on the past. Being a literature teacher, Charlotte also finds comfort in her books, which is something I can definitely relate too.

The story is a pleasant respite from the work day or a comforting way to wind down before bed. I highly recommend How It All Began. I think I may even seek out other books by Ms. Lively. Have you read any of her other books? If so, do you have one you would recommend?

Posted in . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.