Book Review: Quiet - The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

When I first moved to the District, I worked with a boss that believed in knowing the people working for him and how to ensure  team harmony. There were days I thought this was complete B.S. and some days where I could see the value. One of the exercises, he had the group participate in was Myers Briggs. The results came back and I was classified as a INTJ. After discussing the results, the group was convinced as was I to a certain extent that I was an "E" or an extrovert.

Well, looking forward to today and almost seven years later and I believe I fall more in line with the "I" label associated with being an introvert. Working in my current field has even highlighted it more for me, so I was excited to read "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking" by Susan Cain.

At least one-third of the people we know are introverts? They're the folks that prefer listening to speaking; who innovate and create, but dislike self-promotion; who prefer working alone over working in teams.

As I read that paragraph on the back cover of the book, I found myself nodding along. Everything stated resonated with me and I found it rang even more true after working with my current employer for the last couple of years. I wanted to learn more about what me makes me tick and how to deal with the extroverts in my current work environment.

"Quiet" helped with that. This is a well researched book that provides just enough of the human touch so you can connect and fully understand the concepts discussed. Ms. Cain provides you with tips and ideas as to how you can stay true to your quiet self while living in a loud world.

My only gripe with the book was the final chapter - "How to Cultivate Quiet Kids in a World That Can't Hear Them." I think this distracted from the book as a whole. As a person without children, she distracted from what I thought could have been a strong finish. I was put off by the transition to parenthood and lack of a real conclusion. While the topic is important, it would have been better as a separate book. I'm sure there is plenty of research to support it and could have been a nice follow-up.

Despite my disappointment with the book's end, I highly recommend taking the time to read "Quiet." It's helped me better understand myself and how to better work with folks at the office.

Posted in . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.