Recipe: Blueberry muffins aka Breakfast Cake

There's a little neighborhood deli near my office, where I often pick up breakfast on those hurried mornings. This place is organized chaos and not sure how long the process would take, I'd only order a small coffee and a blueberry muffin. Don't worry, I've since branched out. However, the sweet woman who runs the register and gets my coffee insists that I have a muffin too. It's just within the last week that she's given up on the muffin.


As I was assessing the fridge for the week ahead, I found a pint of blueberries I forgot purchasing. Combine that with my love of blueberry muffins, which I share with Keith, and it was time to put that jumbo muffin tin to use. Also finding a quart of plain low-fat yogurt that is quickly approach the expiration date, meant finding a recipe for blueberry yogurt muffins. 

I came across this one from the Joy of Baking, which I modified slightly. These muffins are light and full of blueberry deliciousness. It's so much better to start the week with breakfast cake, isn't it?


Blueberry Muffins
Adapted recipe from the Joy of Baking 

1 c. plain low-fat yogurt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/4 c. canola oil
1/2 t. vanilla
1 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. sugar
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1 pint fresh blueberries 
1 T. lemon zest

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Position rack in the center of the oven. Butter or line muffin tin.

2. In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, lightly beaten egg, oil, lemon zest, and vanilla.

3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Take out a tablespoon of the flour mixture to toss with the blueberries. 

4. Make a little well in the dry ingredients and pour in the yogurt mixture. Using spatula fold everything together until combined. Gently fold in the blueberries until combined. Do not over mix, or you'll end up with tough muffins. 

5. Evenly fill the muffin cups. Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. (Using the jumbo muffin tin, it required 20 minutes with my oven.)

6. Once a toothpick comes out clean, transfer to a wire rack for cooling. Wait 5 minutes. If you didn't line the cups, run a knife around the edge before removing from the pan. 

7. Enjoy!

Posted in . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.