Al dente

Whenever Keith asks where I want to eat if we go out for dinner, I first answer with Mexican. You can’t go wrong with tacos, guacamole, and margaritas, right?

Perhaps, I’ve gravitated more towards the Mexican because I know Keith can seldom find anything wrong with that choice. But my first love is Italian. Plates of antipasti, good olive oil and warm bread, and chewy delicious fresh made pasta – I’m making myself hungry just thinking about it.

I’ve watched them make pasta on the cooking shows and thought, I could do that. Really how hard can it be? Well, last night I took a pasta making class at one of my favorite little stores on Capitol Hill - Hill's Kitchen. (If you live in DC, like to cook or just like kitchen gadgets, then you definitely need to stop by and check this place out.) This class fills quickly so it’s taken me almost a year to finally make it.


I found the instructor knowledgeable and friendly. The class was hands-on, so my only picture is of the finished product.


For some reason, I thought there was olive oil involved. I was surprised to learn fresh pasta involves just flour, eggs, and salt. And it didn’t come as a surprise when we were reminded to use the best quality ingredients possible. As to it being just three ingredients, I still some how I managed to get flour and egg all over the place making it difficult to get other photos.

The class ran much longer than I anticipated, but then rolling pasta is hard work. Tonight I’m envisioning plates of pasta with fresh tomatoes and basil for dinner; I want to savor my hard work. Fingers crossed it turned out okay. Now the bigger question is do I buy a pasta roller?

Do you make pasta from scratch or perhaps you make pizza dough? I’d like to hear what you find to be worth that extra energy.

Posted in , , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.